MichaelCD - The Blog.

The thoughts of Michael Cadwallader. Coffee loving, history book reading, Cheshire man.

Monday, August 07, 2006

Racist Legislation

Nothing should surprise me. I shouldn't still be angered. But I am. Why? The most disgraceful piece of racist discrimination ever seen on these shores, has been proposed by 'our' government:
COMPANIES that bid for multimillion-pound Government contracts will be rejected if they do not employ enough black and Asian workers, under new proposals seen by The Times.

A powerful committee that includes seven ministers has drawn up plans to question competing companies about their attitudes to race before choosing which to employ. Firms will be asked to provide figures showing the numbers of their black and Asian employees. This figure will be compared with the proportion of people from ethnic minorities living near the company’s offices and will be a factor when deciding the winning bid.



Three pilot schemes have been authorised with the support of Downing Street — the first time that “positive vetting” in procurement has been approved by a British Government. It follows the release of figures showing that people from ethnic minorities are twice as likely to be unemployed as the white majority.

Programmes of “affirmative action” have proved controversial in America, where some business leaders say that they can hinder the employment market and discriminate against white workers.

I love this country. In fact, there is no one who could be more proud of his ancestry. The farmers, miners and labourers who trod the land in centuries gone by, are now just names in my family tree. But, to me, they played a part in making this country; however small that contribution was, it was still a contribution. The Welsh national anthem sums this feeling up, perfectly:

The old land of my fathers, it's dear to me.

However, I now wonder about the future, my future. I don't have kids, I am not married, hell, I don't even have a girlfriend! But, when/if I have a male child in this country, he will face discrimination simply for being white. That thought makes me sick to the stomach.

So, even someone as patriotic as myself is asking; is it now time to look towards the door, like so many others?

2 Comments:

At 6:04 am, Blogger Martin said...

Michael,

The naked reality of life in the UK is that it is run by an elite whose function in life is to be served.

And they don't care who does it.

 
At 5:49 pm, Blogger Michaelcd said...

Very true.

It's not surprising that it feels like I am banging my head against a brick wall sometimes!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home