MichaelCD - The Blog.

The thoughts of Michael Cadwallader. Coffee loving, history book reading, Cheshire man.

Saturday, May 14, 2005

ITV

ITV sink ever lower. "Celebrity" Wrestling was bad enough but "Celebrity" Love Island which starts in a couple of weeks takes the biscuit. I am already sure of what will happen - a pathetic load of has-beens and never were's slobbering over each other, a faux Lesbian kiss which makes the front page of The Sun, and Abi Titmuss having sex with anything that moves.

Add to that The Farm on Channel Five, and yet another series of Big Brother coming up on Channel Four in a few weeks and I am led to the conclusion that reality tv weariness doesn't infect the general viewing public, to the same degree as me.

However I am going to refrain from moaning too much. There was rubbish on in the 80's and early 90' too, and those old enough would probably confirm that the 60's and 70's had dire programs on as well. Some Channels deserve praise, because there have been some absolute gems on TV recently. A few weeks ago Channel Four had a superb documentary about Homo floresienses.

BBC1 recently showed a documentary about Genghis Khan that was both enthralling and lavish. The real diamond is the thursday night schdule with Ray Mears Bushcraft on at 8:00 p.m. on BBC 2. An hour of that makes me want to sleep outside on the lawn, drink pine needle tea and chop up bits of wood with an axe. In fact I am so impressed by the series I have purchased Extreme Survival Series 1 & 2 on DVD. At 9:00 over on BBC 1 is Steve Leonard's Journey Of Life. I have found it extremely watchable and informative and although I understand the criticism of it being "science lite" I don't think Attenborough is everybody's cup of tea.

To top it all off we are right in the middle of a series of Law And Order: Criminal Intent on Channel Five. They even had an episode about Stoicism and Marcus Aurelius - Crime drama's and Rome my two favourite things together!!!!



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home